Now that you know my secret love of (some) processed foods, I have no qualms with telling you about my cereal problem. I could eat it for breakfast and dinner. I gave it up for Lent one year (40 very sad, dark days). I had no idea what to eat in the morning, but it forced me to find fast, creative (and ultimately healthier) breakfast options.
So, I still have a vast cereal collection. I try to limit myself to one or two bowls a week, or I make my own granola. But, because we hoard boxes of cereal like the apocalypse is upon us, I’ve been forced (again) to find new ways to use all my cereal. This recipe is definitely inspired by David Chang, but I love the coconut milk twist. Side note: have you guys discovered the Trader Joe’s coconut ice cream? It’s heaven.
Cereal Coconut Milk Ice Cream
Adapted from Oh Lady Cakes.
- 4 cups of cheerios
- 2 cans of light coconut milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Add the cereal to a large mixing bowl. Cover with coconut milk and stir to combine, making sure all the cereal is submerged.
2. Refrigerate for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. Once the cereal has soaked, use a fine mesh strainer to strain the mixture over a medium saucepan; make sure to firmly press the cereal mush to get out as much coconut milk as possible.
3. Mix in vanilla and chill again.
4. Once chilled, pour the mixture into the bowl of your ice cream machine and mix according to the manufacturer’s instructions.