I have a confession – I took a recipe idea from Gwyneth Paltrow. I know. I tried to find creativity from the woman who named her daughter “Apple”. But B & I experienced a Goop-epiphany last weekend when we had dinner with some old friends. And not just any friends. These are some of our coolest, least pretentious, Brooklyny-ist friends we know (so very anti-Paltrow). They had made GP’s “Candy Bars” and offered two to us at the end of the evening. While we were skeptical, we couldn’t say no to dessert.
REVOLUTION IN MY MOUTH. These things were outrageous. I could not believe that these were (pretty much) good for you, didn’t have any added sugars, and were still so delicious.
So I went for it. Frankly, it was a little $$$ to purchase all of these ingredients, but now I have enough nuts and flours and oils to make dozens, and dozens, and DOZENS of these. The one change? Add peppermint extract. This recipe will hit every sweet, minty, chocolaty craving without the guilt/gluten/sugar/dairy AND with the Gwyneth. Who knew?
Minty Goop-y Candy Bars (adapted from Gwyneth Paltrow. I know.)
- 1½ cups raw cashews
- 1½ cups dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- ½ cup almond butter
- ½ cup grade B maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1½ cups dark chocolate chips (60% or higher cocoa content)
- 1½ tablespoons coconut oil
Note: It is more challenging to find the ingredients than it is to make this baby. Once you’ve got everything it is an absolute breeze.
- Blend the cashews in the food process until they go from nut to powder.
- Pulse all of the other ingredients except the coconut oil and chocolate.
- In a saucepan, melt the coconut oil and chocolate.
- Pat the nut paste into a 1inch tall rectangle on a baking sheet.
- Spread the melted chocolate on top.
- Refrigerate until cold.
- Try not to eat the entire thing in one sitting. Good luck.