This very special post goes out to a blogger who very kindly featured Haley & my lil’ labor of love on her own wonderful food blog, Foods for the Soul. In a small token of thanks, we wanted to feature her awesomeness by doing a post on a food combination she did well: chocolate and Balsamic vinegar.
This experiment was a recent favorite at a recent dinner party at the Gage household, and it was luckily pretty successful. Who knew that chocolate and vinegar could be as harmonious as peanut butter and jelly, but done in the right way, once you give this cool combo a whirl, you’ll wonder why you never tried it.
And so I give you…
Baker’s Brownie with Balsamic Frosting and Strawberries
Brownie (from the back of the Baker’s unsweetened chocolate box):
- 4 BAKER’S Unsweetened Chocolate
- 3/4 cup buttah
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup AP flour
- 2.5 sticks of buttah (room temp)
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1 tbsp of cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp of kosher salt
- really good balsamic to taste (i think i used about 1/4 cup)
1 package of strawberries (for decoration/deliciousness)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray an 8 inch spring-form pan with cooking spray.
- Microwave chocolate and butter in large microwaveable bowl on high 2 min. or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Stir in sugar.
- Blend in eggs and vanilla.
- Add flour until just combined and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake approx 30 min until your toothpick is brownie-batter free!
- Cool completely.
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until well-blended.
- Add cream-cheese, cocoa, and salt until (also) well-blended.
- Slowly add balsamic to taste.
- Top cooled brownie with frosting and garnish with freshly sliced strawberries.
The Baker’s brownie recipe is classic, but there’s something about the texture that can make it overly dry if baked even slightly too long. Be wary of that. But otherwise, the mix of chocolate, balsamic, and strawberry is pretty epic, (really mostly the frosting). We hope you did you justice, Foods For The Soul!