The latter soothed the pains of the former.
No, its not a Smores pie. Really, nothing tops a Smores pie. There’s no better way to enjoy marshmallowy goodness (well that and pbnfluff sammiches – the holy grail of marshmallow uses). BUT if you’re looking for something a bit lighter, fruitier, with tang and a fancy name, then this is the dessert for you.
Pomegranate-Cocoa Curd Cream Pie with Sugar Cookie Crust and Marshmallow Meringue Frosting (that’s right I said it!)
Any basic sugar cookie recipe – check out Alton Brown’s for a good one (but any will do!)
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup pomegranate molasses
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbls oj
1/2 stick butter
2 tbls cocoa powder
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
dark chocolate for garnish
1. In a 9 in cake pan with removable bottom, assemble and bake sugar cookie into the bottom of the pan until JUST underdone. Set aside to cool.
2. In a small saucepan over low heat, whisk egg whites and sugar for 4-6 minutes until the sugar has melted.
3. Add the molasses, oj, and salt and continue to cook until a thick curd forms.
4. Remove from heat and add butter slowly whisking constantly until the butter has melted. Put into fridge and allow to cool completely.
5. In a side bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks form.
6. Remove cooled pomegranate curd and add cocoa, whisking until incorporated. Fold in whipped cream. Set aside.
7. Over medium low heat in a double broiler (or a bowl over a pot of hot water as I like to do), whisk egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar continuously until the mixture reaches 145 degrees and the sugar has cooked through.
8. Remove from heat and immediately beat in a stand mixer (easiest) or with a hand mixer until a soft, gooey, marshmallowfluff-y mixture forms.
9. ASSEMBLY! Layer pomegranate curd cream onto cookie crust. Refrigerate for 5 minutes or until firm. Layer marshmallow meringue frosting onto pomegranate curd cream. Repeat refrigeration. Top with shaved dark chocolate curls.
I was proud of this dessert. It keeps in the fridge for a few days so we got to enjoy the fruits of my labor all week long. Tangy-ness of the pomcurd meets creaminess of the marshmallow and its love at first bite.